THE POLISH WOMEN’S
ALLIANCE of AMERICA
San Fernando Valley – 814 Group
LUNCH on SATURDAY
SEPTEMBER 20, 2014: 11:30am to 1:30pm
(Order from the menu – your choice)
16900 Roscoe Blvd (by Balboa Ave) Van Nuys
11:30 am: Social
12 noon: Call to Order: President Elaine (Laskowski) McKearn Prayer, Pledge of Allegiance, Inspiration plus Welcome of Speaker and Guests. Old Business: Reading of the minutes, Correspondence, Treasurer’s report, and Membership Report. New Business: Introduction of Scholarship Winners, Brittany Licari (Graduate College of the Canyons, next Cal State Un Northridge) and Nicholas Principe (UC-Santa Barbara), Plus an explanation of the Scholarship process. Birthdays: Sing “Sto Lat” to everyone celebrating in June, July, August and September.
Introduction of Guest Speaker: Marek Dzida, founder of the website, PolandConnected.com as well as “Polish Day in LA” with an oral and visual presentation of Polish History taking into account the upcoming 25th Anniversary of Solidarity and Poland’s Freedom as well as the Warsaw Uprising of 1944.
Share YOUR Special Polish keepsakes and Christmas Nativities or Szopki! (pronounced: shop-key), Nativity Scenes in Krakow, Poland are brought to the Rynek (Main Market Square) for display, for competition and for a grand parade in ea rly December.
Members and guests will share Christmas customs of food, decorations, and celebrations. Also, everyone should bring at least a $10 Christmas wrapped gift for the Christmas exchange. A raffle will also be available for other wrapped items (Please, no “white elephants”). If you are bringing children, please indicate their names and ages so they can get an appropriate gift, too.
YOU ARE INVITED and your friends to our
With a Guest Speaker, Adam Burkot, born in Poland and world traveler
Saturday, March 5, 2016
11:30 am – 1:30 pm
at Lulu’s Restaurant
16900 Roscoe Blvd, Van Nuys
Your choice from menu.
We started 2016 off with a casual get-together at my home with a Polish Potluck luncheon. Everyone brought something Polish. We had homemade Pierogi made by Adam Burkot (our next speaker – below center-Photos in attachment), Camille Elliot made a special Polish cake, Jeanette Clark brought all kinds of Made in Poland cookies, just to mention a few. We even indulged in a little Polish beer! Everyone had a good time and we’re looking forward to our next Potluck.
Maybe we’ll see you next year. And we had a lot of fun!
San Fernando Valley
President: Elaine McKearn,
1706 Marian Ave
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360-2162
Text: (805) 907-1386
Vice President: Tammie Licari
Text: (818) 429-3745
PWA-814 - Quarterly Meeting, Lulu’s
Polish Women’s Alliance of America – 814
INVITES YOU TO
September Fall Luncheon &
16900 Roscoe Blvd., Van Nuys
11:30am Saturday, September 10, 2016
Order from Menu. Reservations optional (need for general count)
Please call: (818) 429-3745 to RSVP
CALENDAR 2016 & 2017 (All dates and information may be changed.)
• PWA-814 Quarterly Luncheon & Program with a Speaker: Saturday, September 10, 11:30am at Lulu’s (16900 Roscoe Blvd, Van Nuys (near Balboa Blvd). Open seating. Order your lunch from the menu. Reservations not needed. Introductions, lunch, followed by Speaker. Please join us.
• PWA-814 Exec Brd Meeting: Wed Oct 5, 11:30am, Lulu’s. Make plans for Christmas Party and 2015 Officer nominations.
• Special Event- 17th Annual Polish Film Festival: October 11-20 GALA ($80.) at Egyptian Theater in LA, 6712 Hollywood Blvd, Hollywood CA 90025. www.PolishFilmLA.org Contact: Vladek Jaszkiewicz (818) 982-8827
• SAVE THE DATE: October 16 or 23, TBA: Sunday Afternoon Bingo and Fundraiser – Prizes Galore!!
• Special Event- TBA: Polish Festival of LA: “Papal Day in LA (2015)” Sun October 23 (not sure – stay tuned or call (323) 734-5249), www.polskaparafiala.org/festival Facebook: Polish Festival Los Angeles
Our Lady of Bright Mount Carmel CC 3424 W Adams Blvd, LA, 90018-1820.
* PWA-814 Exec Brd Mtg: Wed Nov 2, 11:30am, Lulu’s.
Final plans for Christmas Party and 2017 Officer nominations
• Special Event- November 2 -6, 2016 Paderewski Festival – A Premier Central Coast Music Festival, Paso Robles Special screening: TBA – 2016 and Paderewski Lecture Series: Paderewski’s influence on Paso Robles and History of the Festival www.paderewskifest.com
• Special Viewing- “Liberating a Continent: JOHN PAUL II & the Fall of Communism” – TBA
• PWA-814 Christmas Party Sat December 3, 11:30am, Lulu’s
Plus gift exchange, entertainment and 2017 Officer confirmation.
• Special Event- Annual Carnival Ball by Krakusy – January 15, 2017 from 5;30 –7pm
• PWA-814 Exec Board Meeting: Wed Jan 11, 11:30 am via conference call. If you are able to come my home for the Potluck on the 16th (Martin Luther King Holiday), we will complete any business.
• Special Event- Polish Potluck at Elaine’s: Monday Jan 16,2017
11:30am at 1706 Marian Ave, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360-2162
• PWA-814 Quarterly Mtg & Program TBD.
• Special Event: “The Crucifixion,” by Jan Styka 3rd annual
Tentative: Sat Mar 18, 11am (arrive by 10:45am). Lunch optional at Polka Restaurant.
Hall of The Crucifixion, 1712 S Glendale Ave, CA
Glendale Forest Lawn www.ForestLawn.com- Carpool – RSVP. Jan Styka was a Polish artist from early 1900’s.
• Special Activity: “Topienie Marzamny” Mar 21, the day when children throw dolls – symbolizing winter’s end, – into the rivers
¶ Special Event- Scanfest: Tentative: April 1 & 2, 2017 Sat/Sun 10am-5 pm (help at our booth) PWA-814 Booth (Scandinavian Festival – CLU –Share our joint heritage – Polish/Swedish Connection)
• PWA-814 Exec Board Meeting: Wed April 5, 11:30 am
• PWA-814 Quarterly Meeting and Program: TBD.
• Special Event “Polish Day In LA”: Sat June 10, 2 -10 pm
PWA-814 Booth: 117 Linden Ave, Long Beach (www.PolandConnected.com) www.PolishSportshof.com
• PWA-814 Committee to plan Calendar
• PWA-814 Exec Board Meeting: Wed Aug 2, 11:30 am
• PWAA’s Lady of Czestochowa, Queen of Poland – August 26
• PWA-814 Quarterly Luncheon & Program: TBD.
• Special Event Polish Festival Of LA: Sun TBD, 10am – 8pm Our Lady of Bright Mount Carmel CC
3424 W Adams Blvd, LA, 90018-1820. www.polskaparafiala.org/festival
• PWA-814 Exec Brd Meeting: Discuss Fundraiser or Christmas Party, Wed Oct 5, 11:30am, Lulu’s.
•PWA-814 Exec Board Meeting: Wednesday Nov 1, 11:30am, Lulu’s,
• PWA-814 Christmas Party – December 2 0r 9, 2017: TBD.
• Special Event in Krakow, PL – Dec 5: Christmas Szopki (Crech) Competition